Dec 19, 2016

Don't Look Back


don't look back / jennifer l. armentrout

"my memories were dangerous, but they were also
the key to the truth."

As my first Jennifer L. Armentrout novel, I was highly impressed. This book was amazing beyond level, and I loved it to pieces. It had me flailing in the end, gave me chills, deprived me of sleep, and got me immensely paranoid that I slept with the lights open last night. Don't Look Back is an incredible book to read, and I am in a complete daze!

Samantha Franco suffers from dissociative amnesia without any clue of her past life and her past self. After waking up to scratches and injuries, she finds out that her best friend, Cassie, had been missing for days. While the police continue their search investigation of Cassie, it is quite clear that the last person who had been with her was Sam. Unfortunately enough, amnesia hinders Sam from remembering what truly happened to Cassie and to herself before she had lost her memories. As a teenage girl accused of this tragedy, Sam knows she needs to retrieve her memories back to truly know what had happened to the two of them the night of the incident -- even though the truth may not be something she would ever want to hear.

I've always loved mystery novels, and I loved that this book emphasized this genre. Don't Look Back has a lot of suspense and mystery involved that it had me clenching the pages of the book quite tightly. The entire time, I was on edge while reading it because several parts of the book freaked me out and surprised me. In all truth, I just loved how this book was not entirely predictable.

I was surprised, dazed, confused, hurt; I was every other emotion mixed together at once. Armentrout has a great talent of twisting the plotline to surprise readers because it surely got me in the end.

One of the greatest aspects of this book is its character development. As the story progressed, I watched the characters of the book -- especially the protagonist, Sam -- grow and change all throughout. I was especially impressed by the way Sam developed in the book as she dealt with the brunt of the book's conflict. It was brilliant. I watched as Sam discovered more about her old life and how she had been very manipulative and rude to everyone at school, but what I loved most was how she developed from there and turned into a much better protagonist in the book.

I was stuck in a life I didn't remember, squeezed into the shell of this girl - this Samantha Joe Franco - and the more I learned about her, the more I was starting to hate her.

I really love this book, and I can't wait to read more books from the author. As mentioned earlier, this is my first Armentrout novel, so I hope to indulge myself in more of her books. I look forward to what the author has to bring to more of her readers. 

Brilliant book, this is. I highly recommend it for those who haven't read it yet! (And, in turn, I hope you're willing to recommend me some new Armentrout novels that I could read, too?)