Aug 28, 2016

A Future in Law


While my days were filled with academics, graded homework, and papers to write -- unfortunately cutting down my time for my blog -- I recently discovered something new that I now wish to pursue in the future. It was an idea that I've been neglecting these past few years, though my parents kept insisting on it, since they knew my interests were suitable for this profession. I hated it at first, but now I feel that I am quite sure of it now -- soon, someday, any other day... I want to be a lawyer.

And reading and writing both played a huge role in this self-discovery.
I used to hate lawyers, I'll admit. Though my parents pointed out how much I loved to read and write, and how I am always very defensive of my stance when people try to convince me otherwise, the idea of "arguing" and "debating" just wasn't for me. I didn't like the tension that came along with both. And until now, I am still nervous at the idea of public speaking and defense. For years, I turned my ahead against the profession.

Over time, many of my loved ones and family friends have turned towards law. My cousin, who is currently pursuing a pre-law college course, gave me a pep talk about law, and how I should take it up because my interests in reading and writing would be useful for this one day. He noted how much I could help people. But still, I neglected the idea and didn't give it any other thought.

Ever since I've entered senior high school under the specialization of the Humanities and the Social Sciences, I've been introduced to a newer level of research and literature. Undergoing a simplified college curriculum, I am also taking up Political Science, where, obviously, law is frequently brought upon in class. 

It was one day in class when my English teacher asked us to write an academic paper on our stance regarding extrajudicial killings, which was meant to be our diagnostics test for the semester. While I was writing, I realized so much about how politics and governance enforced such a thing to transpire. I also realized as well how much I enjoyed writing words with such formality to create a stance that I could defend. My writing was very helpful in getting that point across.

Another day, during Political Science, I realized how I quite liked the idea of politics. Albeit controversial in my country, it was fun to learn the mechanics of governance. There was this one time when my teacher praised me for defending an answer that wouldn't have been marked correct, had I not brought it up in the first place.

And so last week, during a birthday dinner of a family friend, who was a corporate lawyer, I realized something new.

I love formal writing, and being a lawyer requires that talent.

I love reading books and other texts -- being a lawyer required that too.

I love the feeling of helping people. Of course, this profession provides such opportunities.

Writing holds a special place in my heart because for years, I have been given the chance to express myself freely without fear of judgment. Words were everything to me. During class, I realized how far my writing could go -- to the point of expressing my thoughts to encourage, convince, and inform others.

I loved reading as well, and I knew that this was required in pursuing law.

I used to want to be an author, and I still do at some point. But I knew that taking up law with the gifts granted to me would give in a much better experience, especially because I get to help others and serve, too. Perhaps it was just the classes that I took, or a self-assessment of my talents, but I know for sure at this point that my perspective just changed.

I want to take reading and writing into a newer level, and I hope to bring these with me once I become a lawyer.