Jul 19, 2016

Tuesdays With Morrie


tuesdays with morrie / mitch albom

If Morrie were here, I'd give him a hug. While reading this book, it felt like it was him that I was talking to -- not the author. Morrie was a sweet, old man, and I was torn into pieces when I read about his deteriorating health in this book called Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom. I laughed, I cried, and I sympathized with everyone in this book. Albom's novel is so powerful; it touches every part of my heart.

To the unaware, Tuesdays With Morrie is a nonfiction. As a reader of fiction, I'd typically despise these kinds of books, but I'm happy to say that this was a huge exception. This book is a true story based on Morrie Schwartz, who was the author's college professor. When Morrie was diagnosed with ALS in 1994, the author would visit his professor's home every Tuesday. And every Tuesday, Morrie gave out a lesson about the Meaning of Life before the disease could take every bit of him away.

That was Morrie's goal after all.

To never let the disease falter his spirits as he neared the brink of death. To allow himself to be a "human textbook" where he could still teach other people what it truly means to live.

Tuesdays With Morrie is a story that teaches us how to live -- from an old man who is about to die.

"Death ends a life, not a relationship."

When I read this book in one day, I felt a number of things -- I felt like I was having a good conversation with Morrie. It was almost like he was sitting across from me on the table, talking about life and death. We were eating together, having a chat. 

Morrie was right in front of me, and I felt so happy that he was there. But I was also heartbroken. This man, a sweet, old man with a passion to teach and dance, was dying of ALS. I felt my insides tear apart. I wasn't even in the sad part of the book, but I was already crying as I gripped the pages tightly.

It was so unfair, but reading this book taught me so much on the Meaning of Life. How we should all live our lives because we'll never know when we're going to die. We should live our lives to the fullest -- no regrets -- and be set to forgive and forget. Keep moving forward and never look back.

I'm a heaping mess of emotions, but I am so happy that I was able to read this book! This book holds a special place in my heart, and I sure won't forget it. Not one nonfictional book has ever made me feel like this -- until I came across Tuesdays With Morrie.