Nov 22, 2015

The Girl on the Train


the girl on the train / paula hawkins

"the holes in your life are permanent."

The Girl on the Train is a suspense novel focusing on one concept -- murder. Everyday, Rachel Watson rides the commuter train, which often stops at a signal that lets her to daily watch the same couple in their suburban home. She doesn't know their names, but she nicknames them as, "Jason and Jess." Rachel watches Jason and Jess -- whose true names are Scott and Megan Hipwell -- from her train ride. Until she witnesses something shocking.

After a series of events and a blackout that partially consumes her memories, Rachel witnesses something that could be a vital part in solving the murder of Megan -- or as she calls her: "Jess."

For such a compelling and suspenseful book, the beginning was incredibly boring and slow.

Pacing was alright, but I read this book during my exam week, and -- being a mood reader that I am -- it made me perceive this book as "dragging and long." In the first part of the book, I was bored that it took me a week to finish this book. There was barely any action, but instead, lots of wordy descriptions and the like.

The first few chapters, though, we are massively introduced to the setting and to our protagonist, Rachel, who is a lonely, unemployed alcoholic. I feel really bad for Rachel because she has an ex-husband who left her for another woman, and now she turns to alcohol to numb her hurt feelings.

She is a poor character. But I liked how, at some point, she was still trying.

This book resembles so much to that of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. This is a suspense novel. Rachel witnesses something incredibly vital in solving Megan Hipwell's murder, but the problem is: She can't remember. Sounds exactly like We Were Liars, right?!

I think that's one strength this book had!

I love the fact that Rachel witnesses something so important that could've solved the case of Megan's murder, but she can't remember it. I love how she does everything she can to retrieve her lost memories. Hawkins did an impressive job, and I was so amazed because in the end, I was met up with a plot twist that I literally did not expect.

The Girl on the Train has a misleading beginning, which is the author's technique to veer her readers to a different direction, until we get along to a plot twist that surprises you too much.

I won't say more because of massive spoilers, but if you're a fan of We Were Liars by E. Lockhart, and you like murder and suspense, you should definitely pick this up! Extraordinary writing and story! Despite how boring the first half of the book was, the action and suspense immediately picks up in the second half. And it's a very twisty and surprising ending, no joke.