Nov 20, 2015

BPC: Things The Book Blogging Community Should Know About

This is a campaign post under the Blogger Positivity Campaign! 
It's the first Friday of the event! Halfway through November already. And I'm still here in this community. At one point, I took a glance in the community, at how book bloggers interact with each through Twitter and comments, and although I love how everybody could get along real quick... I thought of wanting to change a few things in the blogosphere by reminding everyone of a few things.



What should everyone know about?

  1. Learn to say no.
    When you get your very first review request, you can't help but feel excited about it! Eventually, you're going to accept that book even if you're not too intrigued because you -- a) don't want to offend the author by saying no, b) you want to please the author.

    Personally, I've been through the phase of accepting every review request sent to me, even if I didn't really like the book at all. But I learned overtime that I wasn't happy with reviewing books I wasn't interested in. It was only this year did I get to appreciate doing things my way. I'm telling you: Learn to say no. Decline review requests that don't pique your interest. You are not offending the author by declining it; you are offending the author by pretending to like their book.

  2. It's okay not to blog consistently.
    Last August, I conducted a blog survey to see what people think of my blog. I'm surprised that a lot of people said really nice things (*blush*), but the major suggestion that everybody submitted was for me to blog "consistently."

    I understand how consistency is important in maintaining followers. If you keep on writing posts, you're going to attract more readers to your site. And that's true! But know that you shouldn't worry about consistency at all. Life happens, and who can stop that? You're not going to have fun in blogging at all if you're going to force yourself to keep blogging in a timely schedule. Because in doing so, blogging would then become a job, rather than a hobby. And after all, blogging is supposed to be a hobby. It's meant for fun!




  3. Take a deep breath.
    Relax, and don't worry about review deadlines. Or the number of ARCs that you have to complete by then. Those are unimportant! Don't push yourself too hard just to please authors/readers that you're a great blogger. Everyone is a great blogger in their own unique way, really.

  4. ARCs are unimportant.
    Because who needs them in the first place when you can have finished copies, which are 100% better than the uncorrected proof? I wrote a post on this earlier this month. Believe me, ARCs are not everything, and you don't have to worry about it at all.

  5. Blogging is for YOU.
    Sure, it's also for the authors and readers. But when I first came to the blogosphere, my main reason for coming here was for myself. I wanted a place where I could share my love for books and writing. I didn't do this for the ARCs or for the books I'd get. (Heck, I had no idea you could even get free books in the first place.) Blog for yourself, not for anybody else out there. This is supposed to be fun!

#SpreadTheLove

You might have seen me retweeting a lot of BPC introduction posts, and it was really hard for me to track down all those posts because Twitter can be so disorganized sometimes. I'm putting a linky below so you could find all BPC Friday posts as well. 

Happy Friday everyone!