Jan 18, 2015

The Winner's Curse


the winner's curse / marie rutkoski

"happiness depends on being free, and
freedom depends on being courageous."


Thank you so much to Kelly from Diva Booknerd for allowing me to read your copy.

There's no doubt that I enjoyed this book, but there's no doubt either that I came across with some issues. I'm in love with the story, the ideas, and most especially the beautiful writing! It kept me going through the pages quickly, and I was very interested. The Winner's Curse is such a gripping book to read!

This book is nowhere near anything I've ever read! In a world where the strong Valorians and the enslaved Herrani are at war, Kestrel, the daughter of Valorian General Trajan, has ONLY two options to choose from: join the military or get married. But Kestrel doesn't like any of the choices she's given. She only loves to play music - which her father does not approve of.

"But when you are faced with only two choices - the military or marriage - don't you wonder if there's a third, a fourth, or more, even, than that?"

One day - out of pity - she buys Arin who is sold as a slave in an auction. Amidst secrets, wars, and tension arousing, Kestrel befriends the slave and develops feelings for him.

With all the immense hype that was building up with this book, I was very curious and excited to find out what's so good about this book. Sadly, the book did NOT meet up my high expectations, but it did give a good story for me to enjoy.

I know I said this already, but I liked the writing most of all. It made the story transition smoothly and made the saddest scenes seem as is. The world-building was impressive as well and made the overall story very intriguing. That's what I highly love about this book!

But I also had some issues with this as well. Particularly the romance. I wasn't too convinced with the relationship that began to develop because it was very confusing to me. No there was no insta-love, but it was so hard for me to pinpoint how Kestrel truly felt. It was all too confusing. I've read from a bunch of reviews that I'm not the only one who was disappointed by the romance. Because the romance is a two-way thing - it's either you enjoy it or not. Apparently, there are mixed feelings over this aspect of the book.
I have mixed feelings with the characters! At one point, I really liked Kestrel, but then at another point, I was immensely confused and frustrated with her. If you had questioned me about this, I wouldn't even know what to say.

Overall, 4 stars.