Nov 23, 2014

Scarlet


scarlet / marissa meyer

"she did not know that the wolf was a wicket sort
of animal, and she was not afraid of him."

Scarlet is amazing! This is, no doubt, way better than Cinder, if it weren't for the world-building, the Lunars, and the plot twists. I've been reading the book for hours, and I find it impossible to put it down. That's how intriguing the whole story and its characters are.

Scarlet contains two plot lines - Cinder's story and Scarlet's story. Both are told through varied chapters, with one in hiding with Captain Thorne, a wanted fugitive, and the other in search of her missing grandmother. What I absolutely adore is that both protagonists develop very well! They weren't poorly written or anything. They get stronger and stronger throughout the novel.

More characters are introduced, like Captain Thorne and Wolf, with Thorne as my personal favorite! Meyer does a really great job with introducing characters naturally; it doesn't come forced or abrupt, but instead she makes everything transition smoothly!

And there are plot twists that will make your head spin. It makes the overall story more epic and exciting and much more impossible to put down. I'm a deep fan of heavy literary twists, so my craving was satisfied upon completing this novel.
The only thing I least liked was Scarlet herself. I don't know if it's just me, but I've gone through phases in the novel where I absolutely hated Scarlet. She jumps into conclusions and accuses other people too quickly, and I don't know why but Scarlet was really digging the nerves. 
Nonetheless, this was a great adventure and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 
 
I'm pretty much speechless right now and I don't know what else there is to say. But may I request that omebody please send me Cress, Fairest, and if possible, Winter. Because I'm in Lunar bliss right now! Thanks in advance, haha.