Apr 5, 2014

Childhood Favorites: Roald Dahl books


Before I started reading no-picture books like the Harry Potter series and the Inkheart trilogy, I have always looked up to Roald Dahl's books because I found them incredibly amusing. I was around second grade when I first started and I stopped when I reached the fourth grade because, that time, I began to mature a little and develop an interest towards bigger books. The pretty pictures that Roald Dahl illustrated on the pages made me smile - and so did the plot of his brilliant stories. Here are some that I owned and read:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Willy Wonka's famous chocolate factory is opening at last! But only five lucky children will be allowed inside. And the winners are: Augustus Gloop, an enormously fat boy whose hobby is eating; Veruca Salt, a spoiled-rotten brat whose parents are wrapped around her little finger; Violet Beauregarde, a dim-witted gum-chewer with the fastest jaws around; Mike Teavee, a toy pistol-toting gangster-in-training who is obsessed with television, and Charlie Bucket, Our Hero, a boy who is honest and kind, brave and true, and good and ready for the wildest time of his life!

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
Last seen flying through the sky in a giant elevator in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie Bucket's back for another adventures. When the giant elevator picks up speed, Charlie, Willy Wonka, and the gang are sent hurtling through space and time. Visiting the world's first space hotel, battling the dreaded Vermicious Knids, and saving the world are only a few stops along this remarkable, intergalactic joyride.

Matilda (my personal #1 favorite)
Who put superglue in Dad's hat? Was it really a ghost that made Mom tear out of the house? Matilda is a genius with idiot parents - and she's having a great time driving them crazy. But at school things are different. At school, there's Miss. Trunchbull, two hundred menacing pounds of kid-hating headmistress. Get rid of the Trunchbull and Matilda would be a hero. But that would take a superhuman genius, wouldn't it?


Which book from Roald Dahl do you like the most?

7 comments:

  1. You already knew this, but Matilda is of course my favourite! Coming a close joint second though was 'Witches' and 'George's Marvellous Medicine', I adored those books too! Great post :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Matilda ever but I've seen it on a lot of lists recently. I guess it is one my family didn't have. I think I'll have to scrounge it from somewhere. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of my all time favorites when I was little, that and the BFG, but I don't think I ever read Charlie and The Great Glass Elevator . =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I was a girl. I vaguely remember Matilda, but I never read Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator. I may have to check it out someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matilda is my absolute favorite Dahl book too. I wasn't a huge Charlie and the Chocolate Factory fan, mostly because I hated the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matilda would be my favorite of those three as well. I loved the movie growing up, and I loved the book as well. I love Roald Dahl!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day! I love replying back and checking out other people's blogs so please leave a link ♡